B4.9.4 Works Near Watercourses


Any organisation wishing to conduct works in, over, under or near to a watercourse may have to obtain a consent from the relevant enforcing body.

This may be referred to as a Works Affecting Watercourse Consent or a Land Drainage Consent.

Such consents usually cost £50 and take up to 2 months to obtain (2 months if the Environment Agency, 1 month if the Internal Drainage Board).

Who is the relevant enforcing body?

If the watercourse is classed as a Main River (or is a tributary to a main river), it is the Environment Agency.

If the watercourse is an Ordinary Watercourse, it is the Internal Drainage Board.

If there is no Internal Drainage Board, it is the Local Authority.